Skip to main content

Why it's called a Healthy Lifestyle

Why we call it learning a Healthy Lifestyle

Because sometimes as adults we need to re-learn how to eat correctly. Just because we eat what we like doesn't mean it should cause us to gain 10lbs like it's nothing. And trust me, I've been there.
Learning to eat healthy means making good choices every single day. It's not a diet. It's not never eating a piece of bread again. It's just making good choices.
In the last year I lost AND KEPT OFF 30lbs. That is the big part for me - keeping it off.
I wanted to lose 50lbs, and that didn't happen, but I kept off all that I lost, and I have to see that as a positive. I kept it off eating stuffing at Thanksgiving. I kept it off eating cookies and potatoes at Christmas. I kept it off over a bad three weeks in February that happened right at Valentine's day (so there was chocolate in the house, which we never have in the house). I was depressed and sad, and I ate. I ate EVERYTHING I could find. I wasn't proud of my choices, but they were just that - my choices. As soon as I could see through the fog, I went back to making sure I drank my water (and believe me, that's tough in the winter), I had my shake for lunch, and stopped snacking on crackers and things.
The result? I didn't gain any weight. But I didn't lose either.
But that's learning to be healthy. When you can maintain your weight while going out to eat. Maintain your weight over Valentines day and eating chocolates. Or even maintain your weight when your husband makes you an entire chocolate cheesecake...and you eat it, lol.
You learn how to eat (eating half your meal at a restaurant, or just a small amount of a dessert that you really want) but control your other meals while enjoying those little things.
This isn't a race, it's a lifestyle. I don't want to gain the weight back in a month, I want to still be keeping it ALL off in ten years from now.
I see those commercials where you can lose all your weight in two weeks (or there's even one that you can lose it in DAYS). That's not how I see it. I'm in this for the long haul. I WILL be that fifty year old who looks damn good! I refuse to say "oh well, I'm old so I'm just going to sit back and gain weight" NOPE.
I also think I need to get to they gym. I think it will give me the kick in the ass that I need. I'm lazy by nature. Not beating myself up about it. But if I start going and see it working, that will serve as my motivation.
A Healthy Lifestyle is all about making good choices. One bad meal doesn't ruin all your hard work, just get back at it the next meal, or the next day (if necessary) but just DO IT. Do it for YOU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My nemisis

I am failing miserably at this diet thing... I just want to look better and feel better and be healthy. The pandemic did me in...I'm serious. Suddenly I was no longer alone in the house, which was nice, but it turned me from getting my steps in while watching tv, and trying a new on-demand exercise routine to sitting. Mr. G working in the other room has me more self conscious about doing any of those things that I used to. And yes, that's a ME problem. Then there was the community panic of "Stores are going to run out of food!" So we were buying anything we could find in anticipation for empty shelves. (Now we know the only shelves that went empty were toilet paper, paper towels, I'm hearing baby formula, and cat food. Then breakfast sandwiches-which was odd.) But I went from buying all fresh veggies and proteins to whatever I could find. I still don't eat frozen chicken nuggets or strips, and I do make frozen fresh chicken. BUT my eating habits went crazy. I ...

baby steps

I haven't necessarily been following my healthy eating plan the last few weeks (which puts me about 3 weeks behind in my year plan) but today I chose to make a protein shake for lunch like I had planned instead of ordering fast food like Mr. G suggested. (granted, that fast food would've tasted yummy...lol) Baby steps, right?

Not For Me

Yeah, I'm convinced that intermittent fasting is not for me. It works great for some people, but just like the keto diet, it isn't for me. Next week I'll go back to what I was doing before the Pandemic hit. My goal will be 2lbs a week, and in about a year I will hit my long term goal. I enjoyed what I was doing before. Fasting just confused me, since I was used to a couple small meals spaced out. It is great for some people, just not for me. (plus coffee on an empty stomach didn't work so well for me) If you have any lower carb and lower calorie recipes you love, send them my way! I am always looking for something to make for dinner and love a good muffin or cupcake that won't wreck my calorie count for the day! I'll update you next week as to how getting back at it is going...